Everything You Need To Know About Camping With An E-bike
Electric bikes are undoubtedly a blessing for the people who love to ride. The maximum number of people now in the world including the USA, UK and Japan prefer using an E-bike rather than a regular bike as it is environmentally friendly.
If we show statistics, you will be clearer about it. In 2021, more than 185000 e-bikes were sold in the United States and the number is 18x more in the entire Europe.
However, we are often asked: Is it better to go camping with an electric bike or pedal bike? Reaching the high camping point with a regular pedal bike is a bit difficult, but it can be done with an e-bike with ease.
To cross all the branched and cracked trails in hilly areas, there is nothing better than an electric bike. Whatever, in this write-up, we are going to provide a complete guide for camping with an electric bike. Hopefully, you’ll be benefited after reading it, if you are supposed to go camping recently.
If i was to purchase a new electric bike, i would go with the RadCity Step-Thru 3. It comes in at a very good price and looks good too.
Why E-Bikes Are Smart Choice for Camping
So, let’s talk about why e-bikes are great for camping. E-bikes are an incredibly entertaining activity and an amazing tool for transportation. These bikes can be used by anyone, regardless of physical stamina as well.
As transportation, indeed, electric bikes can be a blessing. You can set out for nearby stores or recreational sites without having to transport a car with your RV. It might be more suitable than a car.
Traveling to a new campground or a new place in town is enjoyable and easy with an electric bike. You can stop it anywhere and visit your neighbors and collect firewood from the camp host, or just catch the glimpse of sights, and that’s the benefits of electric bikes for camping.
You can also ride with your friends or loved ones while exercising and conversing simultaneously. It’s something that you should experience for yourself to truly appreciate.
Guide for Camping with an Electric Bike
In this segment, we have given some tips for camping with an electric bike that will help you to know how to make plans, what things you should do, and what things you should avoid during camping with an e-bike.
- Make a Plan
If you have only experienced going camping by car before, then there are a lot of things you should think about during camping with electric bikes. Get pieces of information like; Are the roads friendly to cyclists? Can you ride at a higher speed? Are there wide shoulders that are safe and convenient for you to ride on? Are there bike trails? After getting all the information, then make a plan by keeping these things on your mind.
- Pack Smart
Once the plan is done, the next step is to pack your essential gears which are important to you. Depending on how many nights you’ll go camping, pack lights, a charger, a sleeping bag, a small tent, a stove, a toiletry kit, and books. Lastly, never forget to bring some repair tools to you, as these help you to fix your bike if you get some fault while riding.
- Look Into The Right Site
Camping is popular in summer, and you may find that nearly all the sites have been reserved. But there are several states that have dedicated first-come-first-served spots, particularly for people who arrive by bicycle or foot. If you see the entire campground is full, don’t need to turn away, instead of sharing space with other campers.
- Plan for Recharge
For coming back home, you have to recharge your bike’s battery, right? Well, in the campground area, you’ll find a park ranger for sure and explain to him that you have arrived at camp on an electric bike. He’ll help you out to find the place where you can charge the battery securely. Usually, there is a ranger station where most cyclists charge the battery.
- How Far & Fast the E-Bike Can Go
Not all bikes hold the same distance or speed capabilities. How far and fast an E-bike will go relies on its battery. That’s why, before purchasing, make sure that the bike aligns with the speed and distance that you would like to ride.
You should also bear in mind that the distance an e-bike can go also depends on how much assistance you do by pedaling. The more work you do, the further the battery will last. In the same way, the speed you go also impacts the battery charge. For instance, if you ride 20 mph all the time, you’ll use the battery faster than if you go at 10 mph.
Regarding e-bike speed, you may be thinking about having the fastest one right. But, don’t forget that there is a speed limitation for e-bikes in several countries including the USA, the UK, and Germany.
The maximum speed of Class 1 and Class 3 e-bikes is 20 mph. You can pedal as much as you can to go faster than 20, but you won’t be able to get any pedal assist beyond 20 mph.
What To Check During Purchase an Electric Bike for Camping
For getting the best experience of camping, it is crucial to choose the right electric bike. To have the best one, you can follow the below considerations.
- The body of the electric bike should be lightweight and durable to experience a smooth and comfortable ride. It is difficult to ride heavy-weight bikes on rough roads or mountains.
- To get more stability and balance, pick a bike that holds wide tires. The thin tires can be risky and unable to keep balance.
- For easier maintenance, go for an electric bike that has a front motor system.
- Don’t forget to select a higher watt motor to get the best performance
- Make sure that the battery of the bike is lithium-ion and check the battery life as well.
- Check out the user manual to get an idea of how much distance it can travel when fully charged.
- Purchase an electric bike that has a hydraulic brake, as it is better than a mechanical disc brake.
- Consider a bike that can travel at a higher speed, and ensure the bike has an easy speed switching system.
- Inspect the saddle and handlebar quality when it comes to comfort.
Stay updated with our newsletter
Basic Maintenance Tips for Your Electric Bike
Here are some basic maintenance tips that will help you to keep your bike in a good condition for a long time.
- Keep your bike dirt, dust, and debris free by cleaning it on a regular basis.
- Execute lubrication in the major parts of the bike to make sure they are working properly.
- Check for any loose nuts, screws, or bolts before riding.
- Don’t forget to check the tire pressure before taking a ride on your bike.
- Take a look at the brake pads once a week to see how they are holding up.
- Take care of your battery and charge the battery, maintaining the instruction that is given in the user manual.
So, we are in the final stage of the article. Here we would like to say, if you go camping by cycle, then it is better to choose an electric bike that will provide the best experience, and you won't get difficulty crossing cracked and branched roads. However, to go camping with an electric bike, you just need to make a plan that we have already mentioned in the above sections. Hopefully, this guideline will help you out and make your camping easier.